Sunday, August 29, 2010

Prayer Builds Community Among Believers

I've been thinking a lot lately about how to build a closer community among my fellow believers.  Lots of things bring us together, like dinners, baby showers, group hikes and Sunday mornings.  These are all good activities and they do build community, but they aren't everyday, or all the time activities. 

In the early church, everyone ate together, shared living space and worked together for Christ.  They also prayed together.  Today, in our culture of independence, I doubt anyone would be willing to give up their private homes and move in with another family of believers.  Communes happened in the 60's and only freak leaders start communes with themselves as the Leader Who Must Be Worshipped these days, or at least that is what we hear in the news. 

People who have Jesus, have access to the throne of God.  We can be anyplace on the planet and just start praying.  For anyone.  Do we ever realize the power that awaits those who choose to plug in to the One who is all powerful?  Not that we become superheroes or anything, but the power of intercession is unlike any other.  Jesus modeled prayer constantly while he was on this Earth.  He needed to be with the Father in order to have the strength to minister to those he met with. 

How can we develop community through prayer?  By learning about the heart of our brothers and sisters.  Not everyone is a happy Christian.  People have wounds that have never been healed, fears that have never been addressed, in short, bondage.  Let me tell you a short story.

The father of my child is an alcoholic.  When we were together, he would say unspeakably mean and abusive things to me.  A lot of pain built up and for the safety of my child, I had to break the relationship.  A nasty and unneccessary custody suit took place, and that caused even more hurt to build up in my heart.  About a 6 months before leaving, I surrendered my life to Christ.  He taught me so much so fast through His Word and through prayer.  He showed Himself Faithful and Trustworthy.  Big things to a girl who didn't have a father to look to as an example of God's provision and protection.  About 6 months after leaving, Jesus told me to pray for him.  Ha!  That was the last thing I wanted to do.  But I obeyed. 

At first, I didn't spend any time or heart on my prayers for him.  Just a basic "God, bless him."  And I will admit that I was not sincere in my desire to see him blessed.  My heart was crying for justice!  Smite him, God!  But I knew, and still know, that is not what God wants for anybody.  Over a period of time, my heart softend and I could see past the abuse and see a heart that was broken and in need of a Savior. Just like mine was.  9 to 10 months after being told to pray for him, I can say that I love him as Christ loves him.  I pray for his salvation, for his healing and for restoration. 

This is what can happen when we pray together as a community.  Hearts soften, vulnerability takes place and if we can be honest with each other and admit we aren't perfect Christians, then love can flow openly and healing can truly come in.  That is the Kingdom of God that we can show a lost world.

Let us pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment